I was born in Waverly, Pennsylvania. Living my early years in this small, close knit town in the foothills of the Allegheny mountains, my upbringing led me to love the type of community that Goochland continuously proves to be. We knew each other and supported each other in a way that made all of us feel like family.
During my preteen and teen years, I lived in a metropolitan suburb of New York City. Life was different and the people didn’t take care of each other or support each other.
My New York experience compared to my earlier years eventually led me to Goochland with my husband Michael. By the grace of God, when I came here in 2004 I knew that I had arrived home. The seeds sown into me when I lived in Waverly began sprouting when I came to Goochland. From 2004 to 2012, The Mustard Seed Farm was where I spent my time.
The Call to Teach
In 2012 I received a phone call from a friend who had read about a Greenhouse Management and Horticulture teaching position and suggested that I apply as he said that I would be the perfect fit as the teacher. Since then, I have taught those classes along with Landscaping at the ACE Center at Hermitage. Since I began there, the program has grown from a part time to full time position. It is an honor and a privilege to teach. From my experiences, I truly believe that I am the person who can continue to improve our schools. This is something that is close to my heart and part of who I am as a person, teacher and future board member.
- Attended the New York Studio School, NYC, a Yale affiliate
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Painting from Florida Atlantic University at Boca Raton, FL
- Managed a world renowned Sculpture Supply company, NYC
- Three years of substitute teaching….and survived!
- Assisted in opening the Short Pump and Mechanicsville Home Depot paint departments…managed the departments to have maximum profit based on the efficiency of inventory turnover.
- Trained employees from seven Home Depot stores in the greater Richmond area on computerized inventory management.
- Small Business Owner and Operator, Mustard Seed Farm
- Class A Contractor License Holder
- Partner with my husband in running our small construction business
- Certified Horticulturist
- Horticulture, Greenhouse Management and Landscaping Teacher responsible for working with students in the classroom, managing monies and multiple plant sales throughout the year.
- Adviser to the student organization “Tech Ethics” at the ACE Center
- 2012 Goochland Leadership Enterprise graduate
- Collaborated with educators and business partners to review and revise the Landscaping 1&2 Curriculum
Vote Tuesday, Nov. 5
If you share Jennifer’s goals to Preserve and Build on the Excellence of our Schools, Support and Grow Career and Technical Education, Protect our Schools from State and Federal Overreach, and Embrace our home School Community, then elect Jennifer Mazza to represent District 1 on the Goochland County School Board.